#navbar-iframe { display: none !important; } HOUSE OF GLITZ...!!!: HOW YOOU DOING?. 1ST OPENLY GAY NBA ATHLETE JASON COLLINS COMES OUT & MOTIVATED BY THE BOSTON BOMBINGS

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

HOW YOOU DOING?. 1ST OPENLY GAY NBA ATHLETE JASON COLLINS COMES OUT & MOTIVATED BY THE BOSTON BOMBINGS


12 year NBA veteran, 7ft tall 255 lbs.  Jason Collins, 34, of the Washington Wizards came out as gay Said that he was prompted by the Boston Marathon bombings, as well as the continued debate over same-sex marriage. He is the first active professional athlete to come out while still playing First interview with Collins since announcement will air at 7am EST on ABC today.

Picked the number '98' for his jersey in honor of gay hate crime victim Matthew Shepard who was killed in 1998 First interview being taped just hours after the announcement with GMA's George Stephanopoulos to air Tuesday.
Trail blazer: Jason Collins said that he did not want to be the one to be first, but since no one else had done so, he felt it was important to have a current basketball player come out as gay. 

Collins told ABC News that being the first athlete in a major team sport to come out is 'mind-boggling.'  'You're sort of waiting around for somebody else to … raise their hand,' he said. 'I'm ready to raise my hand but, you know, you still look around like, "OK, come on, guys." It's time for someone else in the room to raise their hand and say, "You know what? Yeah, so big deal. I can still play basketball. I can still help the team win, and that's what's most important,"' he told George Stephanopoulos. 
 Jason Collins, center for the Boston Celtics, wrote a coming out letter exclusively for the May 6, 2013, issue of Sports Illustrated magazine. 

I didn’t set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport,” he writes. “But since I am, I’m happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn’t the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, “I’m different.” If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I’m raising my hand.”
 Now I’m a free agent, literally and figuratively. I’ve reached that enviable state in life in which I can do pretty much what I want. And what I want is to continue to play basketball. I still love the game, and I still have something to offer. My coaches and teammates recognize that. At the same time, I want to be genuine and authentic and truthful.
 White House spokesman Jay Carney released a statement from President Barack Obama that praised Collins.  


'We view that as another example of the progress that has been made and the evolution that has been taking place in this country and commend him for his courage and support him.' It was later reported that Obama, an avid NBA fan, personally called Collins. First Lady Michelle Obama also tweeted her support.

Los Angeles Laker star Kobe Bryant tweeted: 'Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU.'
Read More Click Now



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin